Trick-Or-Treat! Halloween is one of my favorite holidays of the year. When you think of Halloween, you probably think of pumpkins, candy, costumes and the colors orange and black. This year, I want you to think of the color GREEN! Many Halloween products can produce a scary amount of waste that can haunt our world for many Halloween nights to come.
Help me Spare The Air this Halloween by following these Earth-friendly tips:
- Buy a green Halloween costume. When looking for a costume to buy at a store, leave behind the costumes that are made from non-recyclable plastic. Choose costumes that are made with natural materials, such as 100 percent cotton fabric, and face paint that is made without artificial dyes or other chemicals.
- Make your costume. Instead of buying your Halloween costume, make your own. Have your parents help you decide on one. Some popular costumes that are easy to make at home include a ghost, dog, cat, mouse, deck of cards, robot, car, princess or witch. Check out more DIY costume ideas here.
- Make your Halloween decorations. Use recycled materials instead of buying them from a store. Decorations are fun to make, and making your own out of recycled materials is a great way to reduce waste
- Select eco-friendly Trick-or-Treat bags. Use a reusable or recyclable shopping bag, or a pillowcase. If you choose a plastic jack-o-lantern, just make sure you save it and reuse it next year.
- Party like an eco-star. If you’re going to have a Halloween party at your house, make sure to set out your recycling bins for all of the plastic cups, paper plates and soda cans. Or better yet, use reusable dishes!
I hope you have a fun and safe Halloween!