Did you hear the “scoop” about my homemade ice cream recipe?
July 18th is National Ice Cream Day, and what better way to celebrate than by making delicious ice cream in your own kitchen? You can skip TWO whole car trips to and from the ice cream parlor by making your own recipe at home, and you will help me Spare The Air by driving less! All you need is a few household ingredients before you are ready to make your own ice cream in a bag! Ask an adult for permission first, and then to get started, all you need is cream, sugar, vanilla, ice, and a plastic bag.
Follow this easy recipe to make a sweet frozen treat right at home:
- 1 cup light cream or half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ice cubes
- 1/2 cup salt (Kosher or rock salt)
- 1 quart-size sealable plastic bag
- 1 gallon-size sealable plastic bag
- measuring cups & spoons
- Measure the cream, sugar, and vanilla extract into the smaller quart-size bag
- “Zip up” the quart-size bag tightly
- Fill the larger gallon-size bag with ice
- Add the salt to the gallon-size bag
- Put the sealed quart-size bag inside of the gallon-size bag
- Now “zip up” the gallon-size bag
Finally, SHAKE, SHAKE, and SHAKE your bag and then – Ta Da! Wait 5 minutes for the ice cream to solidify, and then you have your very own homemade ice cream. Eat it from the bag, scoop it into your favorite bowl, or add it to a cone, and don’t forget to add the toppings – that’s my favorite part!
Ice cream always puts a smile on my face! Ask if you can share a picture of you making your homemade treat on Facebook or Instagram and be sure to tag Spare The Air Scooter, or use the hashtag #SpareTheAirScooter!
Until next time! Your pal,
This recipe idea was from Kidstir.com. Check out their website for more kid-friendly recipes!